1 large fresh pineapple
Juice of ½ a lemon
3 or 4 lettuce leaves
1 orange or tangerine, peeled, segmented
10 maraschino cherries, drained
2 tbsp sugar
2 fresh orange juice
1 egg yolk, beaten
container whipping cream
- Wash the pineapple before cutting in half. Ripe pineapple should give slightly when pressed with your fingers. Cut pineapple in half. Reserve ½ of the pineapple for another use.
- Remove hard core from centre of other pineapple half. Use a sharp knife to cut fruit from shell. Cut around outside, then slice length wise and cross wise for easy removal of fruit with a spoon.
- Lay empty pineapple half, cut-side down, on a cloth to drain.
- Peel and slice bananas; sprinkle with lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Peel and slice kiwifruit.
- Peel mango; remove stone and cut fruit into pieces.
- Arrange lettuce leaves in drained pineapple half. Add pineapple pieces, sliced bananas, kiwi and mango pieces, orange or tangerine segments and cherries. Sprinkle with 2 tbsp sugar; set aside.
- For orange cream, in a small saucepan. Combine orange juice and ¼ cup sugar. Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves. Gradually whisk in egg yolks. Stir over low heat until mixture thickens. Cool completely. Whip cream until slightly thickened; fold into orange mixture. Pour over salad at serving time. Makes 4 – 6 servings.