350 g shortcrust pastry
4 cooking apples, peeled and cored
55 g brown sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
25 g butter
a pinch of ground cinnamon
a pinch of ground ginger
55 g dried apricots, chopped
25 g toasted hazelnuts, chopped
eggs, beaten for glazing
clotted cream, or fresh cream to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
- Roll out the shortcrust pastry finely. Cut out 4 even-sized pastry squares, each large enough to enclose one apple.
- Mix together the sugar, butter, cinnamon, ginger, dried apricots and hazelnuts. Fill each apple cavity with the butter mixture.
- Place each apple in the centre of a pastry square. Draw up the edges of the pastry around each apple, brush the edges with water and press together to seal tightly.
- Turn the apples over so that the pastry joins are underneath and place on a floured baking sheet.
- Brush each apple dumpling with the beaten egg. Decorate with pastry leaves.
- Bake the apple dumpling for 30 minutes.
- Just before serving sprinkle each dumpling with sugar and make a hole in the top. Spoon a teaspoon of clotted cream into each hole and serve.