This sponge sandwich filled with softly whipped cream and jam and dredged with caster sugar makes a classic tea time treat. Scatter some ripe raspberries on the jam for another fresh layer of raspberry flavour.
Each portion contains…
For the cake:
125g (4oz) self-raising flour
125g (4oz) butter, softened
125g (4oz) caster sugar
2 medium eggs
2 tablespoons milk
For the filling:
4-6 tablespoons raspberry jam
142ml carton double cream
Caster sugar, for dredging
2 x 18cm (7in) sandwich tins, buttered, base-lined and floured
- Tip all the ingredients into a bowl and beat until smooth. Divide mixture between the sandwich tins and level the surfaces.
- Bake the cakes in the centre of a preheated oven, Gas 4/180°C/350°F for 20-25 minutes, or until the cakes have risen and are golden, and spring back when lightly pressed in the centre.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and leave them to cool in the tins for 5-10 minutes, then turn them out on to a wire rack and leave them to cool completely.
- Spread the jam over the base of one of the cakes. Lightly whip the double cream and spread it over the base of the other cake. Sandwich the 2 cakes together. Dredge with caster sugar before serving.
- Top tip: The unfilled cakes can be packed in freezer bags and frozen for up to 3 months. Allow the cakes to defrost