Other combinations of this are also delicious – try raspberry and vanilla or chocolate and marshmallow. Serve with cream or a cup of tea!
Each portion contains…
Calories Sugars Fat Saturates Salt
300 27g 11g 6g 0.4g
15% 30% 16% 30% 7%
… of an adult’s Guideline Daily Amount
60g (2oz) butter, softened
125g (4oz) caster sugar
125g (4oz) self-raising flour
2 medium eggs
Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
For the filling:
6-8 tablespoons good-quality lemon curd
Caster sugar, for dredging
28 x 18cm (11 x 7in) Swiss roll tin, lined with baking parchment
- Place the butter, sugar, flour, eggs, lemon zest and juice into a bowl, and beat until smooth. Spoon the mixture into the Swiss-roll tin and spread it out evenly. Bake the sponge in the centre of a preheated oven at 200°C/400°F/gas 6 for about 10-12 mins.
- Meanwhile, dredge a piece of baking parchment with caster sugar. As soon as the sponge is cooked – it will spring back when lightly pressed – remove it from the oven and tip it out on to the sugared baking parchment. Peel away the lining paper.
- Working quickly, trim the edges and spread over the lemon curd, then roll the Swiss roll up fairly tightly, using the paper to help. Keep the roll wrapped in the baking parchment until it cools, to help it keep its shape.
- Once cool, remove the baking parchment and dredge Swiss roll with a little extra caster sugar, if liked.
- Top tip: Not suitable for freezing.