450g powdered sugar
4 eggs, separated
220g all –purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
4 tbspoon rum
100g candied fruit, chopped
- Cream butter until light and smooth.
- Beat in powdered sugar, a little at a time.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Stir ½ the beaten egg whites into butter mixture. Then fold in remaining egg whites.
- Add egg yolks, blending well.
- Stir flour, baking powder and salt into mixture. Allow mixture to rest.
- Meanwhile, soak raisins in rum about 30 minutes. Stir soaked raisins with any remaining rum and candied fruit into batter.
- Preheat oven to 350 F (175C). Grease a 9” x 5” x 3” loaf pan; line with waxed paper. Grease the paper. Pour batter into lined pan. Smooth surface with a spatula.
- Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until cake tests are done. Cool on a wire rack. Slice to serve.