2.7kg leg of lamb
55g butter softened
3-4 cloves garlic, cut into slivers
455ml chicken or lamb stock
salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 230C/Gas 8.
- Using a small sharp pointed knife make a series of small deep slits about 1½ inches apart all over the leg of lamb and insert a sliver of garlic and a small sprig of rosemary.
- Rub the meat with softened butter and place it in a roasting tin. Pour over some olive oil and cook for about 30 minutes.
- While the meat is cooking, peel and finely slice the potatoes and onions. Mix them together in a bowl and season.
- After half-hour, take the meat from the oven and lift it out of the tin.
- Layer the potatoes and onions in the fat and pour over the stock. Return the roasting tin to the low shelf and place the lamb on the shelf immediately above – so that the juices will ‘weep’ onto the potatoes.
- Roast for about another hour depending on how well you like your meat cooked. Serve with a dressed green salad.