16 lamb cutlets, 140g each, trimmed
salt and freshly ground black pepper
75g Fontina or gruyere cheese
16 large fresh sage leaves
16 slices parma ham
2 free-range eggs, beaten with a pinch of salt
300g fine dried breadcrumbs
olive oil, for shallow frying
For the salad
250g mixed salad leaves – rocket, watercress, Little Gem lettuce
3 spring onions, finely sliced
handful fresh mint leaves
2 sticks celery, finely sliced
For the dressing
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Cut open the centre of the meat of each cutlet until almost through and open out.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then place a sliver of Fontina or Gruyere cheese on one side of the meat followed by a sage leaf and a little Parma ham.
- Fold over the other side of the meat. Dip the cutlets in egg and breadcrumbs to completely coat the meat.
- Press the cutlets together to seal and slightly flatten the meat. Shallow fry in moderately hot oil until golden on both sides until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, toss the salad ingredients together. Drizzle in the olive oil and vinegar, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve together