1 lt milk
1 sponge cake
100 ml fruit juice or fruit-flavoured liqueur
150 g diced candied fruit
2 table spoons rum
2 egg whites
200g sugar powdered sugar
60g custard powder
- Boil milk and 150g sugar. Dilute custard powder and add to the boiled milk.Whisk well.
- Cut cake into large cubes, put into a bowl. Sprinkle with fruit juice and rum.
- Top with candied fruit. Cover with custard. Let it set and cool.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar until stiff peaks form. Spoon over sponge and custard, covering completely.
- Decorate with remaining candied fruit and cherries. Bake 3 to 5 minutes until meringue is lightly browned, makes 6-8 servings.