1 tbsp oil
6 lamb shanks
5 whole peppercorns
2-3 garlic cloves
bunch fresh thyme
small bunch fresh rosemary
750ml red wine
6-10 tbsp redcurrant jelly
- Heat the oil in a heatproof casserole over a high heat and brown the lamb shanks until evenly coloured.
- Add the carrot, onion, peppercorns, garlic and herbs.
- Pour over enough wine to cover the meat of the shanks then set the casserole aside to cool. Chill in the fridge overnight.
- The next day, preheat the oven to 160C/Gas 3. Place the casserole, covered with a lid, into the oven and cook for 2-2½ hours. Slightly uncover the pot for the last hour so that the liquid will start to reduce.
- Remove the casserole from the oven. Remove the shanks from the cooking liquid and place in a roasting dish. Spoon over a couple of ladles of the cooking liquid to keep the shanks moist. Reserve the remaining cooking liquid. Roast the shanks in the oven for 45-60 minutes.
- Remove the vegetables from the cooking liquid.
- Heat the cooking liquid until boiling, then boil until the volume has reduced by half. Stir in the redcurrant jelly until melted.
- Serve the lamb shanks and reserved vegetables with mashed potatoes, seasonal vegetables and the gravy.