300g all purpose flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp unsweetened powder
1 tsp finely ground instant coffee
½ tsp salt
1 egg yolk
2 tbsp marsala
Oil, for deep-frying
500g ricotta cheese or cottage cheese
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp rum
120g powdered sugar
56g chocolate, coarsely grated.
120g pistachios, coarsely chopped
60g candied lemon peel or orange peel
- For pastry, in a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, coffee and salt. Make a well in the centre of dry ingredients. Add butter, egg yolk and enough Marsala to make a firm but not dry dough. Wrap in plastic wrap or foil. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll out dough to 1/8 inch thick. Cut into 4-inch squares. Using a rolling pin, round off 2 opposite corners of each square. Lightly moisten non-rounded edges of pastry square. Place a pastry square around a cannoli tube, joining the non-rounded corners; press to securely seal. Pastries will come off easily if tubes are oiled.
- In a deep skillet or saucepan, heat oil. Fry pastries in hot oil 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oil. Drain well. Cool slightly, then remove metal tube. Cool completely before filling.
- To make filling, press cheese through a sieve. Beat in vanilla, rum and sugar until smooth. Stir in chocolate. Chill until needed. Use less sugar if desired.
- Fill cooled pastries using a spoon or piping bag. Decorate with pistachios, candied peel and cherries as desired. Makes about 18.