450g (1lb) Fine Oatmeal
450g (1lb) Flour
1.42lt (2½ pint) Warm Water (approximately)
25g (1oz) Yeast
1 tsp Sugar
1 tsp Salt
- Mix the oatmeal, flour and salt in a warmed bowl.
- Cream the yeast with the sugar and add to ½ pint of warm water.
- Pour the yeast mixture into the dry ingredients and add the remaining water, mixing slowly to produce a thin batter.
- Set aside for about 30 minutes in a warm place, until well risen.
- Lightly oil a large frying pan and heat.
- Pour a cupful of batter into the hot pan and cook like thick pancakes for 4-5 minutes on each side.
- The oatcakes will keep for 2-3 days.
- Serve warm with bacon and eggs or toasted with cheese or jam.