900g (2lb) Whole Wheat Flour
225g (8oz) Dark Brown Sugar
225g (8oz) Butter
120ml (4floz) Hot Water
1 Egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp Cream of Tartar
1 tsp Baking Soda
- Pre-heat oven to 190°C: 375°F: Gas 5.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- Rub in butter until mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg, with enough water so the dough has a pastry consistency.
- Roll the dough on a lightly floured surface into eight to a quarter inch thickness; cut into rounds.
- Place on an un-greased baking tray.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown, about.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes then remove to wire racks.
Spread with cream cheese and strawberry, apricot preserves or jam.
Or eat as a savoury with cheese.