227g canned chestnuts
2 to 3 tbsp brandy
7 tbsp butter
3 egg yolks
5 tbsp milk
400g of soft breadcrumbs
¼ tsp vanilla extract
2 egg whites
85g grated semisweet chocolate
- Drain chestnuts; reserve 4 chestnuts for decoration. Sprinkle remaining chestnuts with brandy. Allow to stand as long as possible.
- In a medium blown, cream together butter and sugar.
- Lightly beat egg yolks, stir into butter mixture. Gradually stir in milk.
- Drain chestnuts. Finely chop chestnuts; stir into mixture along with breadcrumbs and vanilla.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold carefully into chestnut mixture.
- Butter an 8-inch loaf pan. Pour mixture into prepared pan; smooth the surface. Cover with buttered foil or waxed paper. Secure with string. Steam gently by placing pan in a baking pan half filled with boiling water. Cover baking pan with foil or lid. Simmer over low heat 40 to 50 minutes.
- Melt 28g 1 chocolate over low heat. Dip reserved chestnuts in melted chocolate. Let stand until firm.
- Unmold chestnut log. Decorate with chocolate covered chestnuts and remaining grated chocolate.