1kg topside of beef
1 garlic clove
2 bay leaves
2 sprigs rosemary
8 black peppercorns
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 carrots, finely chopped
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
1 bottle red wine
90ml/6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
salt, to taste
- Place in a large bowl together with all the other ingredients except for the oil and salt. Cover with clingfilm and marinate in the fridge overnight.
- Remove the meat from the marinade, keeping the marinade for later. Pat the meat dry with kitchen paper. Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the meat and seal well. Remove and set aside.
- In the same saucepan, add the vegetables and herbs from the marinade and sweat for a couple of minutes. Return the meat to the pan, add some salt and cook on a medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the wine from the marinade, bring to the boil then reduce the heat to low and cover with a lid. Cook for about two hours, until the meat is tender and the liquid has reduced, checking from time to time and gently turning over during cooking. Once the meat is cooked to your liking, remove it from the pan and keep it warm. If the sauce needs thickening continue to simmer until it has reduced to sauce consistency.
- To serve, slice the meat and place on a serving dish together with the vegetables and sauce.