755g (1lb 10oz) Self Raising Flour
235ml (8fl oz) Milk
110g (4oz) Butter
2 tbsp Black Treacle
2 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
4½ tsp Cream of Tartar
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
½ tsp Salt
¼ tsp Ground Allspice
¼ tsp Ground Cloves
¼ tsp Ground Nutmeg
¼ tsp Ground Ginger
- Pre-heat oven to 220°C: 425°F: Gas 7
- Lightly grease a baking tray.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, salt, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, nutmeg and ginger.
- Cut in butter with a knife.
- Combine milk and black treacle in a small bowl.
- Stir into flour mixture until moistened.
- Turn the dough out and knead gently, but do not overwork.
- Roll dough to a thickness of about half an inch.
- Cut out rounds with a medium biscuit cutter.
- Place pieces on the prepared baking tray, so that they are not touching.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Turn out on to a wire rack to cool slightly before serving..
- For soft scones, cover with a dry cloth for 10 minutes.
- For crisp scones, do not cover