75g (3oz) butter or margarine
100g (4oz) soft brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
2 large ripe bananas
225g (8oz) self-raising flour
1/2tsp ground allspice and a pinch of salt
Handful of dried fruit (dates are good) or chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°/gas 5. Cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl until fluffy then beat in the egg gradually.
- Add dried fruit. Mash the bananas then stir into the mixture. Fold in the flour, allspice and salt.
- Spoon into a greased and lined loaf tin and bake in the centre of the oven for 35-40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- When cooked, leave the loaf in the tin for a few minutes before turning out to cool on a wire rack.
- Serve sliced, spread with butter or margarine.