900ml (1½ pints) Warm Milk and Water, mixed
225g (8oz) Fine Oatmeal
225g (8oz) Wholewheat or Plain Flour
15g (½oz) Fresh Yeast (or equivalent Dried Yeast)
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Sugar
- Dissolve the sugar in a little of the liquid and use to mix the yeast into a smooth thin paste, then add to the remaining milk.
- Allow to stand in a warm place until it becomes frothy.
- Mix the oatmeal, flour and salt together in a large bowl.
- Add the yeast mixture and remaining liquid, mix thoroughly.
- Cover and allow to stand in a warm place for 45-60 minutes.
- Place enough batter on a well greased griddle to produce an oatcake of approximately 20cm (8 inches) in diameter.
- Holes will appear in the surface as it cooks.
- Cook each side for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.