2kg potatoes, sliced into thirds
600g beef dripping
3 tbsp grated fresh horseradish
2 tbsp black peppercorns
2 tbsp sea salt
3.5kg rib of beef
8 large carrots, chopped into 3
8 large parsnips, sliced into thirds lengthways
- Preheat the oven to 220C/Gas 7.
- Boil the peeled and sliced potatoes in a large pan of salted water.
- In a saucepan, melt the dripping with the horseradish, salt and pepper.
- Score the beef all over with a sharp knife.
- Layer all the chopped vegetables in a large oven tray and place the beef on top. Tip the potatoes into another tray.
- Ladle most of the horseradish glaze over the top of the vegetables and meat (reserving some for the potatoes).
- Roast the meat in the oven for 20 minutes then reduce the temperature to 160C/Gas 3 and baste the meat with the dripping.
- Pour the remaining horseradish glaze over the potatoes and place them in the oven to cook for the duration of the beef cooking time.
- Roast the meat for two hours,basting it with the dripping every half hour.
- Allow the meat to rest under foil for 30 minutes before serving.