140ml (¼ pint) Double Cream
55g (2oz) Butter
55g (2oz) Castor Sugar
55g (2oz) Golden Syrup
55g (2oz) Plain Flour
1 tsp Ground Ginger
1 tsp Lemon Juice
1 tsp Brandy [optional]
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C: 350°F: Gas 4.
- Grease 2 baking trays.
- Heat the butter, sugar and syrup in a saucepan, over a moderate heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the lemon juice and remove from the heat.
- Stir in the flour and ginger, mix until smooth. Add brandy (if used)
- Place teaspoons of the mixture a few inches apart on the baking tray.
- Bake until brown and lacy. Allow to cool slightly.
- Whilst still warm, remove from the tray with a palette knife and wrap around the handle of a wooden spoon, allow to become firm before removing.
- If not required immediately allow to fully cool and store in an airtight container.
- When ready the serve, pipe whipped cream (flavoured of sweeten to taste) into the brandy snaps.