Makes approximately 20
110g (4oz) Plain Flour
85-110g (3-4oz) Sugar
50g (2oz) Lard or Margarine
2 level tsp Ground Ginger
1 level tsp Cream of Tartar
½ level tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
Milk as required
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C: 350°F: Gas 4
- Cream lard or margarine and sugar, add the egg.
- Sift the dry ingredients and work into the mixture, adding milk as necessary.
- The consistency should be not too soft but not stiff.
- Place onto lightly oiled baking trays, flattening slightly.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Turn out on to a wire rack to cool.