675g (24oz) White strong flour(higher gluten flour) or Plain Flour
75g (2 1/2oz) butter
1tsp ground cinnamon
1tsp ground mixed spice
1/4tsp grated nutmeg
50g (1 1/2oz) Unrefined light muscovado sugar
200g (7oz) mixed dried fruit
25g (4/5oz) candied peel, chopped
1,7g sachet easy-blend yeast
325ml (2/3pt) warm milk
75g (2 1/2oz) plain flour (for the crosses)
2tbsp Unrefined golden caster sugar
- Sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the spices, sugar, dried fruit, candied peel and yeast. Make a well in the centre.
- In another bowl, beat the milk and eggs together and pour into the flour.
- Mix well to a soft dough then turn out onto a floured surface and knead for about 10 mins until smooth and elastic.
- Place in an oiled bowl, cover with clingfilm and leave in a warm place for about 45 mins to rise.
- Turn out the dough and knead again lightly for a few minutes to knock out any air bubbles.
- Divide into 14 pieces and shape into buns. Place well apart on greased baking sheets, cover loosely with clingfilm and leave in a warm place to prove for 45 mins or until doubled in size.
- Cut a cross in the top of each bun with a sharp knife.
- Mix the flour for the crosses with enough water to form a dough and roll out thinly and cut into strips. Dampen the pastry strips and lay them in crosses on top of each bun.
- Bake for 15-20 mins at 200ºC / 400°F / Gas 6 until golden.
- Meanwhile heat the ingredients for the glaze in a small pan and simmer for 2 mins until syrupy.
- Remove the buns from the oven and brush with the glaze while still warm. Leave to cool on a wire rack.